Overall Purpose of the Position:
The Medical Scientist (CAQ) has the initial overall responsibility for the implementation, validation, and application of (1) PBMC isolation, cryopreservation, storage, and shipping as a standalone technique/process, preliminarily aiming on offering PBMC isolation to sponsors of vaccine trials; and (2) investigate, set-up, validate and apply other cellular-based assays TASK Applied Science can offer vaccine trial sponsors. The Medical Scientist (CAQ) will also assist the Laboratory Quality Manager with overseeing quality related matters of TASK Laboratory Specialized Techniques (TLST).
The Medical Scientist (CAQ) plans, organises and oversees all testing and resulting for studies and projects conducted at the lab and serves as the liaison between the Laboratory and Sponsors, Science Office, collaborators, and funding bodies, to warrant that work is conducted according to the need of each individual project, is in line with the laboratory’s capabilities and as guided by the Head of Laboratory. The Medical Scientist will be responsible for managing quality related matters of TASK Laboratory Specialized Techniques (TLST).
The Medical Scientist (CAQ) will be required to establish PBMC isolation within reasonable time as a TASK Laboratory Specialist Technique, which will be managed by the Medical Scientist (CAQ) as a unique specialist service. The Medical Scientist (CAQ) will be required to identify and pursue funding opportunities for further capacity development to establish and maintain service provision sustainability and will be required to explore commercialisation of this specific service sector.
The role will implement and ensure adherence to standards, compliance and competence in PBMC isolation and at least 2 of the following processes are required:
1. Flow cytometry and cell sorting
2. Cell culture (immortalized and primary cells)
4. In vitro cellular assays
Key Performance Areas (KPAs) & Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Liaising, planning, organising and implementing all PBMC isolation and related testing according to the trial plan for each individual study conducted at TASK Laboratory and as per the guidance of the Head of Laboratory.
- Training and developing staff to ensure they have the required skills to achieve performance objectives.
- Overseeing asset management and procurement of goods specifically to PBMC and cellular assays to ensure the most effective utilization of resources, oversee stock levels and their optimization, and reduce costs where applicable.
- Generating project specific validation, participant results and management reports as required to monitor work and performance status of PBMC isolation and other cellular assay-based projects and take corrective action when required.
- Ensuring that good quality, timely results, and data is consistently produced.
- Providing cellular biology expertise, reviewing and approving laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs) relating to PBMC isolation and related assays.
- Enabling the laboratory to adhere to business standards, practices, procedures, and protocol requirements specifically for bacterial load quantification.
- Ensuring that the quality management system of the lab is applied to all cellular biology projects and continuously monitor adherence to this policy. Monitoring trends, identifying significant project risks and addressing potential problems before they occur.
- MSc or PhD in Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology or Cellular Biology or a similar sciences qualification, with at least five years post-graduate work experience.
- Extensive experience in the set-up, optimization, and implementation of PBMC isolation and other cellular assays essential, with PBMC isolation being most advantageous.
- Experience and skills in project management, from conceptualization to final result reporting.
- Excellent working knowledge of BSL2/3 laboratories.
- Ability to train, monitor and mentor staff.
- Knowledge of good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP) and Good Documentation Practice (GDP) guidelines and regulations
- Advantageous: Experience working in a clinical trial setting
Key Personal Inherent Characteristics
- Excellent planning and organising skills, with the ability to work systematically and sequentially.
- Personal effectiveness and the ability to work in a pressurised environment, with strict adherence to timeline.
- Must be very adaptable and flexible.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Competent in identifying obstacles or problems and implementing an appropriate action plan.
- Ability and willingness to adapt working hours in response to the business needs which may change from time to time in response to operational requirements.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a willingness to drive expansion of cellular assays to offer as tests by TASK Laboratory.
- Leads by example in line with TASK’s culture.
- Must be willing to undergo training in sputum processing.
Area: Parow, Cape Town
Contract Type: Fixed term contract (Approximately 5 years linked to funding)
Applications Close: 02 October 2023
Please submit a SEPARATE Cover Letter and comprehensive CV with your application and indicate in your application that you are applying for the above-mentioned position. Application without a SEPARATE cover letter will not be considered.
Send applications to email@example.com
If you have not received a response within one month, your application was most likely unsuccessful.
TASK reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement and not fill the above-mentioned vacancy at any stage during the recruitment process.
Meeting our employment equity goals will be acknowledged during the recruitment process.
By responding to this advert and sending your cv, cover letter and/or any other documentation, you are consenting to TASK processing your personal information as contained in the furnished documents. TASK may process your personal information for recruitment purposes for suitable posts that may arise within the organisation. You agree that you have familiarised yourself with South Africa’s Protection of Personal Information Act and understand your rights and obligations under this Act.